BSc and MSc (Iran), PhD (UBC), PEng
Office: KAIS 4052
Phone: (604) 827-4741
Fax: (604) 822-5949
Purang Abolmaesumi received his BSc (1995) and MSc (1997) from Sharif University of Technology, Iran, and his PhD (2002) from UBC, all in electrical engineering. From 2002 to 2009, he was a faculty member with the School of Computing, Queen’s University. He then joined the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering at UBC, where he is a Canada Research Chair, Tier II, in Biomedical Engineering and Professor, with Associate Memberships to Department of Urologic Sciences and School of Biomedical Engineering.
Dr. Abolmaesumi’s internationally recognized research program investigates advanced topics in medical imaging, machine learning on data at scale, and image-guided diagnosis and interventions.
Dr. Abolmaesumi is the recipient of the Killam Faculty Research Prize, the Killam Award for Excellence in Mentoring and the Killam Faculty Research Fellowship at UBC. He currently serves as an Associate Editor of the IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging and has served as an Associate Editor of the IEEE TBME between 2008 and 2012. He is a Board Member of the International Society for Computer Aided Surgery and serves on the Program Committees of the Medical Image Computing and Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), International Society for Optics and Photonics (SPIE) Medical Imaging, and the International Conference on Information Processing in Computer-Assisted Interventions (IPCAI). Dr. Abolmaesumi served as the General Chair of IPCAI 2014 and 2015, and has served as Program Chair of IPCAI 2012 in Pisa and Workshop and Tutorial Chair of MICCAI 2011 and 2015. He currently serves as the Program Chair for MICCAI 2020. Dr. Abolmaesumi is a member of the Royal Society of Canada.
Biomedical Engineering with emphasis on machine learning, medical image analysis, and image-guided therapy.
- ELEC 271 Selected Topics in Biomedical Engineering
- ELEC 491 Electrical Engineering Capstone Design Project
- CPEN 491 Computer Engineering Capstone Design Project
- ELEC 492 Electrical Energy Systems Capstone Design Project
- CPEN 492 Software Engineering Capstone Design Project
- ELEC 493 Nanotechnology and Microsystems Capstone Design Project
- ELEC 494 Biomedical Engineering Capstone Design Project
- EECE 542 Computer-Integrated Surgery
- EECE 571T Electrical Engineering Seminar and Special Problems – Advanced Machine Learning Tools for Engineers