Awards and Funding

Each year our Department has the pleasure of distributing awards, scholarships and bursaries of up to  $200,000 to our top students. We would like to send out a big thank you to all of our generous donors who are helping students achieve their very best while at UBC.

Many awards are made purely on the basis of student academic performance over previous years; for these awards, there is no application process, the ECE Awards Committee will determine which students will receive awards based on the University’s records. Other awards are made on the basis of criteria defined by our donors which might require strong evidence of student volunteering, service to the Department, University or the wider community, financial hardship, enrolment in specific programs (EE vs. CPEN) and/or a year of study and specialism. In these cases, the Department will invite eligible students to apply for these awards early in the Fall semester.

NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) Information

Are you an undergraduate student interested in gaining research experience in an academic setting that compliments your current studies?

NSERC Undergraduate Student Research Awards (USRA) are designed to stimulate interest in research in the areas of natural sciences and engineering in an effort to encourage students to partake in graduate studies and pursue a research career in these fields.

For information on the financial amounts of the NSERC USRA, please see UBC's NSERC USRA page.

Students do not need to be in the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department (ECE) to work with an ECE professor. ECE students, in turn, may also hold an award in another department or university, if you find a faculty member who is interested in supervising you.

  • Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
  • Be registered in a bachelor's degree program at an eligible university (full-time or part-time) in at least one of the two terms immediately previous to holding the award. For the purposes of this document, the terms of an academic year are: Summer (May to August), Fall (September to December), Winter (January to April). Registration in either one of the two summer sessions will count as registration in that term.
  • Have obtained, over the previous years of study, a cumulative B- (68%) average or above (note that the competitive average is generally above 80%).
  • At the time of your award, have completed all the course requirements of at least the first year of university study (or two academic terms) of your bachelor's degree.
  • Not have started a graduate studies program in the natural sciences or engineering.

In addition:

  • If you already hold a bachelor's degree and are studying toward a second bachelor's degree, you may still apply to this program.
  • You may hold only one USRA per fiscal year (April 1 to March 31) and only one industrial USRA per fiscal year.
  • You may hold a maximum of three USRAs throughout your university career.
  • If you are a graduating student , you are eligible to hold an USRA as long as you were registered in at least one of the two previous terms before holding the award, have not started a program of graduate studies and have met all other eligibility requirements of the program.
  • You must be engaged, on a full-time basis for a minimum of 16 consecutive weeks , in research and development activities in the natural sciences or engineering during the tenure of the award.
  • To apply in ECE, send an email to with a subject line of “USRA Application - <YOUR NAME HERE>" and you will receive an auto response indicating your "ticket" number. To add something to your ticket, please reply to the auto-reply email that you receive.
  • Prepare the USRA application.
  • Form 202 must be submitted electronically.
  • Form 202 consists of Parts I and II. Part I must be completed by the student and Part II must be completed by the proposed university research supervisor.
  • Students and supervisors must complete an online application on the NSERC website by clicking "On-line System Login" or, if you are a first-time user, "Register."
  • Instructions on how to complete the form can be found on the NSERC website.
  • A copy of your Form 202 (Parts I and II) and transcript is also required to be submitted to the ECE Student Services in Kaiser 2010 either electronically as a PDF and/or Word document, attached to your ticket, or in hard copy during regular business hours. Signatures are no longer required.
    We will use your ticket to keep you appraised of the status of your application. If you have questions about your application status, please reply to the auto-response.
    NSERC will not accept handwritten forms.
    Please read the program descriptions in the Program Guide for Students and Fellows before you complete the application.

  • Does UBC offer financial advice for undergraduate students?

    Yes! Please visit UBC Student Services for more information. Please also visit Awards and Bursaries for more information on what other awards and financial support options are available to undergraduate students at UBC.