Undergraduate Teaching Assistantships – DEADLINE: July 31, 2021
Teaching Assistants form an integral part of the Department’s human resources, responsible for the Department’s core mission of undergraduate teaching and learning. The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering hires a limited number of Teaching Assistants annually to support its undergraduate programs. In 2020/2021, we will hire a small number of undergraduate student TAs. This academic year we have opened up the application for all undergraduate courses.
Although the precise duties will vary depending on the course for which an appointment is made, in general they will include duties from one or more of the following types:
- Laboratory Assistant – assisting in computer engineering labs.
- Tutoring and answering questions – working with students individually or in groups, either on-line or in person.
- Marking – marking student work.
The expected time commitment is three hours per week.
Applicants must be full-time undergraduate students, having received a score of at least B+ in relevant courses. Applicants will be evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Mastery of the course academic material
- Communication skills (written and oral)
- Ability to motivate and inspire students
- Ability to effectively assists student learning by enabling different sets of skills, including oral and verbal communications, problem solving, critical thinking, numeracy, teamwork, leadership, planning
Undergraduate student experience and performance is the principal underlying driver for the appointment of Teaching Assistants. Financial need is not part of the evaluation criteria.
APPLICATION FORM: 2021/2022 Undergraduate TA application form
You will be asked to submit an up-to-date resume outlining your educational and employment experience related to a Teaching Assistant position, and an unofficial transcript.
Applications will be accepted after the deadline until all positions are filled but, other considerations being equal, candidates who applied by the deadline will be preferred.
Be advised that Teaching Assistants at The University of British Columbia (UBC) are represented by the Canadian Union Of Public Employees Local 2278 (CUPE 2278) and that a Collective Agreement between UBC and CUPE 2278 is in effect.
Applicants will be contacted with further details regarding interviews in August.
DEADLINE: July 31, 2021