Visiting Faculty and Students

There are many ways to visit UBC as both a faculty member and a student. Tenured or tenure-track professors are able to visit UBC while on sabbatical from another institution. International undergraduate and graduate students who require research experience at another university or institution can visit UBC as a Visiting International Research Student. Student exchanges and internships are also available for qualifying students.

Please note: It is important that all visitors on campus hold an official appointment at UBC when the visit is for an extended time period.

Visiting Professors, Associate Professors, Assistant Professors and Lecturers are normally from another academic institution and are at UBC while on sabbatical. These visitors’ appointments will normally be made at the rank that they hold in the home institutions or by an appropriate equivalent rank, preceded by the word "visiting". Appointees must hold continuing appointments or have emeritus status at other universities or institutions to which they expect to return; visiting positions are normally held for a maximum of two years. Visiting Faculty normally make arrangements with their host ECE faculty member, and the Department Head invites the visitor upon the host faculty member's recommendation.

A Visiting International Research Student (VIRS) is an international student who is enrolled in an undergraduate, graduate, or graduate-equivalent program at another university, who plans to visiting UBC for research purposes only. For more information about applying to the VIRS program, please visit Go Global's website.